There are so many commitments and expectations this time of year, in addition to your normal, daily responsibilities. It is easy to get caught up in the “should” instead of what you would really like to do. When I get caught up in the should, I find that I miss the very essence of the holiday season. Try these 5 ways to survive the holiday season, I know I am going to put them into practice. You can survive and actually enjoy the season.
1. Go with the Flow – When the unexpected happens or your plans go awry, do not resist what is happening, go with the flow. It is probably out of your control anyway, so, why stress. I had a friend call me last week on her way to the airport. The traffic was horrendous and she was afraid she was going to miss her flight. Instead of stressing, she knew there was nothing she could do about it, she took a deep breath and surrendered the need to control the outcome. Our initial instinct would be to have our minds race with all possible scenarios, usually negative ones. Instead, just go with the flow. She ended up making the flight!
2. Check Off One Item on Your to Do List – If you look over that list, there is probably one item you can remove. Usually that item is at the bottom of the list anyway. Ask yourself, if it is important to get it done or is it just kind of nice to get it done?
3. Exercise – Any type of exercise, even a brisk walk will relieve stress and help clear your mind at the same time. When I am busy, it is very easy for me to find every excuse in the world to not exercise, when that is probably the one thing that would be the most beneficial.
4. Do Something Special for Someone – This helps to get the emphasis off “YOU!” It could be a simple as making a phone call to someone you have not talked to. Or sending an unexpected gift or card to someone.
5. Do Something Special for Yourself – Take time to nurture yourself in whatever way that is. Celebrate yourself at this special time of year. You deserve it.