This is an easy time of year to overburden ourselves. I was thinking about all the additional things I was putting in my schedule: holiday parties, baking, decorating, gift purchases and holiday dinners. This list, of course, is in addition to my everyday obligations with work and my home life. I decided in order to really enjoy the holidays and spend time with my family, I would only schedule things that really mattered to me and I would not worry if the holidays weren’t perfect. When my holiday decorations came down from the attic, I looked at all the boxes and decided that is was not important to put out every decoration and that it was ok that my outside bushes did not have lights. I decided to take some time for myself with the 5 ways to deal with holiday stress listed below.
5 Ways to Deal with Holiday Stress
- Breathe. Does this sound too simple? It is simple, but, it works. Stand up with your feet flat on the floor. Place you hand on your stomach, take 5 deep breaths, and feel your stomach go in and out while you breathe.
- Develop a spiritual practice. Throughout the holiday season, try to spend at least 5 minutes every day in a spiritual practice. Try meditation, prayer, inspirational reading, or some time in silence. The important point it to practice it consistently.
- Humor. A good laugh does our soul good. Watch a funny movie, read cartoons or read a humorous book.
- Exercise. There are many studies that show that exercise reduces stress and helps you sleep better. At the very least, go for a walk.
- Gratitude is very powerful. Make a list of 10 things you are grateful for. Try to stop and do this whenever you feel stressful.
Which of these did you try?