What was the first thing you did when you woke up this morning? Maybe said a prayer for having another day on this magnificent earth? Did you feel joyful and excited about your day? Finding joy and living a joy-filled life allows you to shine. Joy is a true internal feeling that is not affected by life’s up and downs. It differs from happiness which is more external. You won the lottery, you feel happiness. This is not to say that you will always be joyful, but, by cultivating joy, you will be joyful more frequently. Here are my six ways to stay joyful.
I practice these steps, not every day, but, most days. If I am going through a more challenging period in my life, I make it a habit to integrate these actions in my life. Let your soul shine through with joy, it will help everyone around you feel better.
6 Ways to Stay Joyful
1. Be grateful. A practice that includes gratitude allows you to dwell on the positive aspects in your life. No matter how difficult a period you are going through, there is always something to be grateful for. Do you say a silent prayer before a meal? Or maybe start a Gratitude journal.
2. Do something creative. Learn something new. When you are doing a creative project, you unblock energy and that energy can now flow in better ways. When you are doing the creative project; pay attention to the process. Immerse yourself in it.
3. Find your passion. Pursue something that you care deeply about. Even taking small steps toward your passion will bring you joy. What does your ideal day look like?
4. Be of service to others. Take the focus off your ego-centered self and bring happiness to another person. Think of the countless ways you can be of service.
5. Exercise. The Mayo Clinic says, “Exercise in almost any form can act as a stress reliever. Being active can boost your feel good endorphins and distract you from daily worries”. You do not have to train for a marathon. Just do some exercise that you enjoy.
6. Listen to your intuition. In silence, you deep gut feelings are very reliable. Learn to be aware of them.
What do you do to bring more joy into your life?